Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

May 17, 2011

Lego Games Ramses Return - a Netmums Review

As part of a SWAT team of bloggers pushing reviews to the limit for Netmums, I have been asked to put new Lego Game 'Ramses Return' to the test. This is the kind of challenge we like at Hot Cross Towers, in fact, you only need to mention the word 'Lego' in our house and mass excitement is unleashed. So when a package arrived, addressed to me, and the box for the Ramses Return game fell out, all hell broke loose.

Reeling in shock from the disappointment that I hadn't just opened another early birthday present for myself, I barely noticed my 3 and a half year old running around say, "Oh yes, oh yes, it's Ramses Return." Given the fact that I hadn't even said what it was, this can only mean that he is watching far too much TV (note to self). Anyway, we opened the box, followed the instructions and got on with the game.

The boys both really loved building the game first - this is done in the same way all Lego toys come, with the page by page instruction booklet. Although the game is aimed for ages 7+ my 3 and 5 yr old had it put together with only a bit of assistance needed from me (I would have liked to assist more, but they wouldn't let me, so I had a little sulk from the corner of the room).

The object of the game is to move your Adventurer (a teeny Lego person) around the Lego board, picking up crystals and golden treasure. There is also a Mummy who any player can move , who can 'curse' other players and send them back to the start. It reminded me a little bit of a game I played as a child called 'Sorry' and is also a bit like PacMan in some respects - but obviously with Lego and not a computer game (so maybe not really like PacMan at all). A great feature of the Lego Games is that they come with online demo videos - like this one.

Anyway, we definitely give this the thumbs up, not only because it is Lego which means there is a construction element to it, as well as the actual game, but because it is a fun little game which the boys have gone back to play several times since we opened the box. The Lego games encourage you to change the rules and use the pieces in different ways - I like that idea too. Oh, and the game comes with a nifty little 'pick axe' type tool which levers tricky bits of Lego off the dice, and of course, can be used with all Lego so this, we love.

All in all, a thumbs up from us. My only 'caution' would be that the game, and all the parts, are much smaller than they look on the box or website, so if you don't yet have Lego in the house and have small children crawling around who are liable to put things into their mouth, this may give you untold amounts of stress!

There are lots of Lego Games in the range for ages 5 and upwards, and I am sure we will be looking out for these as well. Full details are on the Lego Games website.


Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. How rubbish am I? I didn't even know Lego did games. I must have been living under a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! My son used to chuck all his legos all over the house, I put them all in the recycling and now he really wants them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only last weekend my ten and twelve year old built a city from Lego..so the attraction of the wonder block lasts nearly as far as teenage years. Mind you, I haven't been able to walk across the floor since but then you can't have it every way!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your children love games that challenge them to build creatively, then these kids toys merit a serious look. Kids and adults will have a lot of fun playing this together.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin