Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

May 2, 2011

40 things I've enjoyed on the way to 40: Part 1

Yes, I was a child of the '70s and '80s and as I will be celebrating the ripe old age of FORTY in a couple of weeks, I thought I would become a bit nostalgic and rummage through my decaying brain cells for some gems from my misspent youth. So, here are the first 20 things I have enjoyed immensely on the way to being 40. Any young 'uns reading this won't have a clue what half of the below means (and I offer no apology for that whatsoever!), but for anyone reaching their middle-age years, I hope this brings back fond memories!

1. Midget gems, especially the white and red ones, Wham Bars, Space dust (aka popping candy) and the strictly forbidden candy cigarettes.
2. Lilt, Monster Munch and potted meat sandwiches on school trips.

3. The Dooleys - my first childhood crush on some odd man with alarmlingly feminine hair


4. Sticks of rhubarb straight out of the garden, dipped into bowls of sugar
5. Miss World and Eurovision Song Contests - oh, the excitement, the excitement!
6. The Incredible Hulk on Friday night telly
7. The Dukes of Hazzard on a Saturday teatime
8. Swap Shop
9. Jim'll Fix It
10. Grange Hill
11. Babycham, Asti Supmante, Blue Nun, Mateus Rose and Black Tower wine

12. Making perfume out of rose petals from the garden
13. Mr Benn, Bagpuss, Barbapapa, Ivor The Engine, The Clangers....the list is endless.
14. Sindy dolls
15. Look In, Smash Hits and Just 17 magazines
16. 'Frankie Says Relax' t.shirts
17. Pedal pushers, ra-ra skirts, pixie boots, Batwing jumpers, satin dungarees (or maybe they were my sisters - not quite sure)
18. My Raleigh Wisp bike and wooden Maxply McEnroe tennis racquet birthday presents
19. Seeing Abba live at Wembley Arena
20. Athena posters

Ahhh, the memories! More next week.

Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

  1. Oh my Lord, forgot rose petal perfume. Wasn't there a toy or something to help you make your own? Must scratch my also almost 4 decade old brain. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Body Shop Dewberry to go with the love of Athena Posters, surely?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I remember all too well as I'm older than you!
    Asti Supmante I drank at parties...sometimes wearing a Frankie T-shirt (-;

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am insanely jealous about number 19! Pickled onion flavour monster munch was so great wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO funny. I feel a bit old, but all that talk of Jim'll fix it and Lilt had me laughing. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this post!! What are you planning for your birthday?? x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the post had me and my husband taking a walk down memory lane. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a brill post my hubby and I are still coming up with our own things that we remember.....Spanglers!!! say no more!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab!

    Will be joineing you in December, so this is close to home - except I did Diamond White, Malibu & Taboo (not all together though!)

    Looking forward to next week!

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, these things are good. I remember all of them despite being three years your junior (three years and two months to be precise). I heard the Dukes of Hazzard theme tune the other day and it took me back. So sad Sindy is no longer around, she was so much better than Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that takes me back. Don't forget Gabbage Patch Kids,Just Seventeen magazine and Top of the Pops magazine. Happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness, I think you are me or we are identical twins seperated at birth. Did you skip school with a tummy ache to see Jason and Kylies' wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoo hoo there's even more here that bring back memories. The rhubarb and sugar (and surely Rhubarb and Custard on telly?), Ivor the Engine, Swap Shop. I'm giddy with excitement.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin