Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

January 24, 2011

No Tiger Mothers here; just pride


The five year old recently started dance lessons. He likes to 'bust a move' at home every now and again and we'd talked about starting dance lessons for a while. He'd always preferred to carry on with his football, but after watching the Diversity show on TV over Christmas, he seemed to find a new found respect for those talented young chaps and spent the next week going around with his baseball cap on backwards.

We have been to the class twice now. Twenty minutes into the first class he turned to me and gave me the biggest grin and a thumbs up. He couldn't wait to go again.

Last week was the second class and there was a much smaller group: only himself and three girls. He got stuck into the routine straight away - so far, so good. Then the teacher asked each child to do the routine on their own while the others watched. Gulp! My heart was in my mouth as he walked into the middle of the dance floor; wondering whether he would do it or get stage fright or just feel uncomfortable in front of the girls.

Not a bit of it! To my absolute delight, he stood there and danced his little socks off.

I was SO proud of him. What a long, long way we had come from a year ago when he started football lessons and spent the entire time clinging to my legs.

There has been a lot of coverage recently about Chinese Parenting and Tiger Mothers, following the article by Amy Chau in the Wall Street Journal. Anyone who knows me will confirm that I am definitely not a Tiger Mother (more like a tiger cub, if truth be known) and would be the last to push my children into anything they clearly didn't want to do. That said, if ever there was a case for encouraging your children to explore different experiences and sticking with something, even if it is tough at first, then seeing my little guy busting his moves last Monday is it.

He'll probably go off dancing completely by this time next year, but I'll wear my 'Mummy' badge with pride for as long as it lasts.

Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. Ah, bless the tigers and their cubs. I shall be a chimp kind of Mum I think - just clap and laugh when they are happy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, so good to see them having fun learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! But you know, I'm not sure it's really the goal of a Chinese Mother to get her son into dance class. Tee hee. However, I think it's grand! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post.
    So fab to watch your children really enjoying stuff....in the end that's what's important. Sometimes the enjoyment gets forgotten in the race to "encourage" them to take up hobbies...(been there, done that!)
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way as you, if I had to choose between hapoy nad sucesfull it would be happy every time

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a follower of your blog for a while.. not sure if you've seen my beauty blog but I just wanted to let you know I now have a new YouTube beauty channel also.. take a look and subscribe when you have the chance. Thanks so much x

    Angel of High Heels & Lipgloss
    youtube.com/angelarmogida

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read that article only yesterday - I mean, WTF? I always understood the underlying rationale of immigrant parents wanting to make sure their offspring were off to better lives. But until yesterday I hadn't the slightest idea that this is an 'educational style'. It's just horrible, and I'd really be interested to read some statistics on the backfiring rates. Because, for sure, there most be the odd teenager that turns to drugs or anorexia (or both) to break. It's only human. xx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin