Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

September 29, 2009

Why my blog is like my child (sort of!)


So, yesterday I attended my first blogger event – which was incredibly worthwhile and a lovely day all round (but more of that later in the week).

While at the event, I met some other lovely blogging mums and dads (
Rosie Scribble, Café Bebe, Bringing Up Charlie, Manic Mammy, MummyMaps, Babyccino, New Mummy, Dad.ie), and there we all were, chatting as enthusiastically about our beloved blogs as we were about our beloved children.

On the flight back home, and with no children to entertain (imagine that!), I started to think about this some more and it suddenly dawned on me that my blog is like having another child. Here’s why.

  • I am very proud of my blog (which I created without any male assistance might I add!)
  • I am incredibly protective of my blog
  • I get upset when people criticise it in some way, or suggest that it is in any way less than perfect
  • I think about my blog often
  • I spend a lot of time trying to make my blog look nice (tidy, pleasant to look at, not covered in unwelcome messiness)
  • I miss it when I am away from it for extended periods
  • I want to rush upstairs to see it when I get home
  • It is one of the last things I see before I go to bed a night

Is this just me? Do I need therapy? HELP!


Share/Save/Bookmark

15 comments:

  1. I’m with on this one and a lot of the stuff you mention, I do to. I’d never thought of it as a child, had thought that writing my blog was a bit like have a clandestine affair. I hate it when I’m away from it and I’m always having sneaky looks at it whilst at work. My blog and I have morning coffee together most days and I think about it a lot of the time and plan what I’m going to do with it the next time I see it again.

    I think I need help! Is there a bloggers anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hazel. It was lovely to meet you too yesterday. I really enjoyed the day. I hadn't realised you'd flown over. I thought our journey from the Midlands was far! I've just received the photos of the event from Kim. They look great!

    Don't worry. I treat me blog exactly the same way, and I miss it when I'm away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my blog needs potty training and starts teething I'm outta here LOL!

    Totally see where you're coming from. I think most blogs must be a labour of love.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu have to love blogging in order to do it - it's such a unique perspective into the person who's writing and creating. Yours is a lovely child :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much by the way:) Loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO funny...and in so many ways, true for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I feel exactly the same. My blog is my other baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee. Yes. So true, so true. I think we could all do with a bit of therapy! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, so - just to take this analogy a little further... Does your blog c**p and p*ke all over you at times? Does it whine when it doesn't get it's own way? Cry when you don't do what it wants? Run around in circles aimlessly, laughing all the while? Sniff butterflies? Eat snails? Bring sand from the sand-pit into the kitchen? Put toy-cars in the washing-machine? Post letters back out of the letter-box? If so, you're right. And we all need therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank GOD for that. I am not a freak of blogging nature. Phew! Glad to hear you're all as obsessed as I am. I feel so much better for 'sharing'. Now, must go and read my blog a bedtime story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to give you an award today but you have received it twice over!! You are right to be proud of your blog, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh god, i'm a very bad parent. i love my blog, i like to look at her when she's not watching, i like to write her little notes... but the thing is, i'm pretty neglectful. I don't feed her every day - i'm lucky if she gets changed once a week! I'm often too preoccupied to put her first, and often i prefer other blogs! Do you think Irish Mum Bloggers might take her away? from me? i need to factor in some daily one-on-one time

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post because I'm just the same way about my blog! LOL Sounds like your meet-up was fab -- wish I was living over there and could have attended too!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin