Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

June 2, 2011

Over The Moon


A very 'proud mummy' moment occurred in my house yesterday. As I pottered around in the kitchen whipping up a nutritious dinner whilst scrubbing the floor and polishing the silver (oh alright, I was having a cuppa and reading a magazine), I heard my five-and-a-half year old's little voice from the sitting room.

"O...v...er......the....m...oo...n. Over...the...moon." He had picked up one of his early reader library books and without anyone prompting him to do so, or having ever read the book to him, he was sitting at the table reading to himself! I sat and listened to him, working out the sounds and the delight when he figured out what the words were.

I am so proud and so excited for him that his ability to read is the start of such an exciting journey. He has been flicking through books on his own for years now, well after his light should have been turned off, and I can't wait for him to be able to pick up the book I've been reading to him, and carry on where I left off.

Over the moon - he couldn't have read more appropriate words if he had tried!!

On another note, I am also very proud and over the moon about two things:

1) I am delighted to be featured Author of the Month for June on directebooks.com, where I talk all about the inspiration behind my ebook 'Hot Cross Mum - Bitesze Slices of Motherhood'. You can get a 15% discount on the book by entering the code on the widget at the top of my blog, and I am also going to be running a competition next week to win a Sony eReader and gift vouchers for the directebooks site. So, watch this space!


2) I am also now writing a new blog for Hello Magazine called 'Off the Shelf'. It will feature book reviews and interviews with the authors. The first review is of a gorgeous book by Jojo Moyes: 'The Last Letter From Your Lover' - you can see the review and interview with Jojo here.


All in all, a very 'over the moon' kind of week!


Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

  1. How exciting for your little man, a whole new world awaits him. My hubby and I are both avid readers and hope to pass our love of books onto our son too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on all fronts! I'm over the moon for you too! Right now I'm busy regretting buying one of those books with sound buttons. Thought it would excite them about reading. Didn't realize I'd have to listen to honking, beeping and ducks quacking every minute of every day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, what a lovely story and you're so right, such appropriate words :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you (and your small reader too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just read the interview with Jojo Moyes and the book review - it's great! You have a real talent there. I'll definitely be following 'Off the Shelf'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - exciting times! Congrats to you. I love hearing them 'sounding out' their words - it's amazing how quickly they learn to read from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to read about this as it's just round the corner for us. Reading this makes me very excited about my 4yo starting school in Sept. Congrats on your achievements too. Will check them out, bitesize is about my Reading level of late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really is an over the moon kind of week. Congrats to you and your wee reader!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very proud mummy indeed! How wonderful. And how busy and in demand are you?! You should have a well deserved proud mummy moment for yourself ;-) Well done :-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! We had a similar moment in our house this week too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats - on both. A perfect age for him to start reading.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin