Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

July 14, 2009

Ten reasons not to eat your tea

(as compiled by my three and a half year old)
  1. That’s too soft, I only like crunchy things
  2. But that tomato is too bendy
  3. Well, it’s just that those carrots are touching the peas
  4. Yukky. That bit of the banana is dirty
  5. I WANTED CHEESE ON TOAST, NOT CHEESE SANDWICHES
  6. It’s just that my tummy is SO full but my pudding tummy is still hungry
  7. But I can’t eat it mummy because THIS IS THE WRONG SPOON
  8. I’m too tired to eat cucumber
  9. That’s got peppers in it and they make me cough
  10. But if I eat all this, then I won’t have room for any telly

Is it any wonder that I feel like I am fighting a losing battle?!


Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes - I'm familiar with all of these. The usual one is 'But Mummy, I want the pink plate. No, not THAT pink plate...the other one'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL As the mother of another fussy 3 year old I can relate. Whatever you do once the plate is on the table DONT lift any food from it, or rearrange it in any way...it contaminates the entire dinner, you may as well bin it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you, thank you ladies. Mealtimes can be such a lonely place. Glad to know it's not me, it's them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh god, at 18 mI have a good eater....how long will it last??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post!

    Flea is a great eater until I inadvertently pour milk for her, or carry her plate to the table. "But I wanted to do it by MYSELF!!!" Seemingly, I contaminate it with mother cooties...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! You made all that up right? What? On noooo. Mine don't really talk yet. Actions speak louder than words though and most of my lovingly prepared food ends up on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have often wondered whether I should just cook the food and then throw it all over the kitchen floor myself. Cut out the middle man, save 30 minutes and move straight on to Charlie & Lola?

    ReplyDelete
  8. you forgot the 'i want milk''no i don't want milk i want juice' 'no i don't WANNNNT juice' 'i want MIILLLLLK' 'no i dont.....' ad infinitum until the tantrum wears itself out. phew is it teatime again already?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post gave me a laugh and stirred vague memories!

    With ten year olds you move on to (and this happens every day at about 4pm) "what's for dinner?" I reply with for example 'Chicken Curry' and the reponse "Oh no I hate curry." Confused mother says but you like curry - you always eat curry. "Nope - didn't eat it last time and now i hate it".

    Oh and I also have an 8 year old who has decided that she is vegetarian! But she is not a big fan of vegetables????? So she is eating lots of carbohydrate!! I couldn't be bothered trying to change this as I know that this will all change again in a couple of weeks! I just need to hold on!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best one in my house is "It doesn't look like a chciken nugget, I can't eat it."

    To which I reply, "But it's a chicken gourgon, they are the same."

    "But it's not in a happy meal box so it's not a chicken nugget."

    I have no reply for that one.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin