Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

June 9, 2009

Boys will be girls

My young man is currently getting in touch with his feminine side. He recently asked me to paint his toenails after seeing me paint my own. I hesitated – convention telling me that boys don’t have their toenails painted. Then I realised I was being ridiculous and found my brightest, pinkest nail polish. He was thrilled and we giggled as we both sat wriggling our toes off the end of his bed waiting for them to dry!

He has also taken to tottering around in my heels - which does look hilarious when paired with a Burt & Ernie vest and Lightening McQueen underpants! He now knows where I keep my sparkliest party shoes and can often be heard clip clopping around the bathroom in them (I think he likes the noise they make more than the shoes themselves, but I can’t be certain).

The icing on the cake (quite literally) was when he was allowed to choose a treat from the cake counter at a local bakery recently. I thought he might go for the chocolate muffin but he made a beeline for the gingerbread men. Well, actually, what he made a beeline for was a gingerbread lady sporting a bright pink icing bikini. “Are you sure you want that one?” I asked, pointing out the others in football shorts behind. “Yes”, he replied earnestly, “the one with the pink boobs”. He might only be three and a half, but he certainly knows his own mind.

Of course, daddy isn’t so sure about ‘his boy’ having female moments and, although he probably wouldn’t admit it, is trying to counter balance this by talking about dinosaurs and playing lots of footie in the garden!

I find it all highly amusing and very endearing. I may not have produced a daughter, but, for the time being at least, my son is great girlie company. Hmm, maybe we’ll put face packs on tonight while we watch Fireman Sam……

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin