Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

April 26, 2009

Art Attack

I have a dilemma.

For the past month, my kitchen has been adorned with my children’s wonderful artistic creations. Mother’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Spring and Easter have all been celebrated with glittery paper tea cups, lolly stick flags, cotton wool lambs, tissue paper chicks, loo roll daffodils and endless amounts of paintings and colouring in.

My dilemma is what to do with this all now it has been taken down? There’s too much to keep but I can’t bring myself to throw any of it out (I should probably mention that I have three year’s worth of similar stuff lurking around which I also haven’t decided what to do with yet).

I do realise that if I was sensible and matter-of-fact about this, I would select a couple of things to keep and recycle the rest. But how can I decide between these lovely things – each made by their own little hands and each a mini milestone in their development (the cotton wool lamb my three and a half year old made this year is so much more obviously a lamb than last year’s!).

If I keep them, who am I keeping them for? For the children so they can look back and laugh at their early masterpieces, or for myself so I can go on a massive nostalgia trip when they are grown up and tell me they wish they’d never been born?

Perhaps I’ll have a de-cluttering frenzy in a year or so and throw it all out with wild abandon. For now though, I’m very sentimental about these innocent bits of sticking and gluing so I’m keeping them. I think.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I only have an answer for this because I watched Oprah today and they discussed this very problem! They recommended taking good photos of each piece of artwork, and then have the photos printed into hardbound books so that you can start a little library. It looked really cute with the family they used as examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, making an album sounds better than what Mums traditionally do - fill the attic with boxes and boxes of everything until the idea of ever thowing anything out becomes impossible. YOu'd better be careful Hazel, you might lose your writing space to clutter !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments ladies. The photo idea is great (note to self: must watch Oprah more often!) and much more practical than the inevitable deluge of boxes I would end up with otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin