Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

March 10, 2009

Goodbye boardroom, hello kitchen floor!

It's official - I am unemployed; another statistic of the credit crunch. There are no more rungs on my corporate ladder, my impractically-high heels are back in their box and my designer suits are going to the local charity shop.

Some might think that leaving a part-time job isn't that big a deal. Well, it is! For the last six months, my two days a week in the office has been - apart from financially necessary - 'me time' and, on many occasions, the only thing keeping me sane.

On my working days , I didn't seem to mind the early starts because I had a reason to put on my nicer clothes. I could relax on the train while reading the free papers. I would look forward to a freshly brewed latte. I could converse with adults, make an impression at meetings and generally have a sense of order to my day.

In my new role as Stay At Home Mum, I feel strangely nervous and more than a little panicked at the prospect of filling entire weeks with two demanding boys.

The reality now is instant coffee which I won't get chance to drink. No-one from IT will come and fix my computer. The lovely old man from stationery won't bring me more Post-Its when I ask and I can be sure that my coffee cups won't be cleared away by someone at the end of each day.

On the positive side, I'll be able to hoover whenever the urge grabs me and of course I'm excited about the additional time I'll have with the children. As the mornings and nights get lighter and the days get a little warmer, I have high hopes for days playing in the garden, picnics, visiting the zoo and generally enjoying this opportunity life has thrown at me before the children are too big for bubbles, cuddles and gingerbread men.

One step at a time though. Now, where's that jar of Nescafe.........?

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the huge move. And welcome to the blogosphere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done.. looks great... onwards and upwards sister

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin